Home » News » Public Safety
Windsor camp students evaluated for carbon monoxide poisoning
According to Dr. Amy Sousa, deputy executive director for Camp Wediko, a nonprofit residential school for children with behavioral and emotional challenges, the students were in class in another building when the carbon monoxide detector went off in the dormitory. However, it was decided that the students and staff who spent a lot of time in the dorm should be evaluated to ensure that carbon monoxide hadn't built up in their bodies.
Sousa said that of the eight students who were evaluated, three were checked by on-site medical staff, and five were transported to Concord Hospital for more thorough evaluation. And 13 staff members were also sent to the hospital to ensure there were no residual effects from carbon monoxide.
"We sent anyone we had any question about, including one boy who had a head cold, just to be sure," said Sousa. The staff slowly returned to camp throughout the afternoon, and the students were expected to follow shortly after, said Sousa. However, all of those evaluated will be re-evaluated in two days to ensure there are no other signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, including headaches.
The evaluations will take place either on campus with the camp's medical staff, or students will be sent off-campus, said Sousa. In the meantime, the furnace inside the dormitory was shut down and serviced by a technician to determine if there were any mechanical problems, and Sousa said the fire department was on hand to inspect the dormitory and found no obvious problems.
"We're taking every precaution to ensure there are no other problems," said Sousa. "We'll be monitoring that building constantly to make sure everyone is safe."
There are currently 41 students living at Camp Wediko, 11 in the dormitory affected by the carbon monoxide issue.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garage fire displaces Manchester family - 0
- Fire destroys historic Claremont convent - 0
- Minor injury in crash at Concord airport - 0
- Child Advocacy Centers offer safe place for abused to begin healing - 0
- Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire - 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- The courage of Boston: The courage of America - 0
- Downhill: Obamacare vs. ski areas - 0
- Scene in Manchester: City Food Co-op is a fresh idea - 0
- UNH Notebook: Holy Toledo! Only 130 days until football opener - 0
- Your Turn, NH -- Suraj K. Budathoki: I am at last happy, for I am at last an American - 0
- Deroy Murdock: How red tape slows one life-saving drug's path to market - 0
- Sox win in wild walk-off over O's - 0
- Zakahi named provost, VP of academic affairs at Keene State - 0
- Groundskeeper found electrocuted is identified - 0
FlowTraq CEO has his eye on Manchester
Sox win in wild walk-off over O's
CDFA names Caswell new director
Cannon closes out season with 46 trails open
GoShopNH.com to host workshop in Keene
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'