Home » News » Public Safety
Windsor camp students evaluated for carbon monoxide poisoning
According to Dr. Amy Sousa, deputy executive director for Camp Wediko, a nonprofit residential school for children with behavioral and emotional challenges, the students were in class in another building when the carbon monoxide detector went off in the dormitory. However, it was decided that the students and staff who spent a lot of time in the dorm should be evaluated to ensure that carbon monoxide hadn't built up in their bodies.
Sousa said that of the eight students who were evaluated, three were checked by on-site medical staff, and five were transported to Concord Hospital for more thorough evaluation. And 13 staff members were also sent to the hospital to ensure there were no residual effects from carbon monoxide.
"We sent anyone we had any question about, including one boy who had a head cold, just to be sure," said Sousa. The staff slowly returned to camp throughout the afternoon, and the students were expected to follow shortly after, said Sousa. However, all of those evaluated will be re-evaluated in two days to ensure there are no other signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, including headaches.
The evaluations will take place either on campus with the camp's medical staff, or students will be sent off-campus, said Sousa. In the meantime, the furnace inside the dormitory was shut down and serviced by a technician to determine if there were any mechanical problems, and Sousa said the fire department was on hand to inspect the dormitory and found no obvious problems.
"We're taking every precaution to ensure there are no other problems," said Sousa. "We'll be monitoring that building constantly to make sure everyone is safe."
There are currently 41 students living at Camp Wediko, 11 in the dormitory affected by the carbon monoxide issue.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Dozens displaced by Manchester apartment building fire - 4
- Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 1
- Danville couple struggling to get back on feet after explosion - 2
- Farmington school evacuated for bomb threat; police say kids are safe - 0
- Claremont elementary school to get safer sidewalks - 0
- Fire leaves Derry family of four homeless - 0
- Homeless man rescues woman who jumped from Granite Street Bridge - 2
- Propane driver saved from waist-deep mud - 0
- Update: Men target practicing face felonies after report of shots fired in Hooksett - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- These all-natural candles can double as massage oil - 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 19
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 6
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
Human intervention hobbling ice fishermen
Tensions boil over after NYC police killings
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'