action:article | category:NEWS07 | adString:NEWS07 | zoneID:67

Home » News » Public Safety

January 15. 2013 1:03PM

Smoldering insulation causes classroom evacuations in Littleton

LITTLETON - The students in the two portable classrooms at Lakeway Elementary School in Littleton were evacuated Tuesday morning after the odor of smoke spurred the school staff to activate the school safety plan.

At 9:57 a.m. Littleton Fire Rescue was dispatched to the school, arriving within three minutes. Littleton firefighters could find no smoke or fire in the building, but did detect smoke odor near the portables. They found the odor was coming from a roof-top heating unit, in which interior insulation had fallen on top of the heating coils. The insulation was smoldering.

With the assistance of school custodial staff, firefighters shut down the unit. The insulation was removed and the heating unit and air ducts were aired out. The unit was inspected and everything was back up and running within a short time, according to assistant principal Sally Russell, who said the fire and police department were very quick to respond.


Follow us:
Twitter icon Facebook icon RSS icon
Sorry, no question available

 New Hampshire Business Directory

  

    ADD YOUR BUSINESS TODAY!

 New Hampshire Events Calendar
    

    SHARE EVENTS FOR PUBLICATION, IT'S FREE!

Upcoming Events