All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In


Smoldering insulation causes classroom evacuations in Littleton


LITTLETON - The students in the two portable classrooms at Lakeway Elementary School in Littleton were evacuated Tuesday morning after the odor of smoke spurred the school staff to activate the school safety plan.

At 9:57 a.m. Littleton Fire Rescue was dispatched to the school, arriving within three minutes. Littleton firefighters could find no smoke or fire in the building, but did detect smoke odor near the portables. They found the odor was coming from a roof-top heating unit, in which interior insulation had fallen on top of the heating coils. The insulation was smoldering.

With the assistance of school custodial staff, firefighters shut down the unit. The insulation was removed and the heating unit and air ducts were aired out. The unit was inspected and everything was back up and running within a short time, according to assistant principal Sally Russell, who said the fire and police department were very quick to respond.

.

Post or View Comments 


NH Maple Weekend NH Maple Weekend
All Weekend

Sap Gathering Contest Sap Gathering Contest
Saturday, 10 a.m.

45th Annual NH Camping and RV Show 45th Annual NH Camping and RV Show
Friday, 1-8 p.m.,
Saturday, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.,
Sunday, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Ales for Tails Ales for Tails
Sunday, 1-5 p.m.

FOLLOW US
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow our RSS feed
Union Leader app for Apple iPad or Android *
Click to download from Apple Apps StoreClick to download from Android Marketplace
* e-Edition subscription required

More Public Safety


NH Angle