Salem selectmen to form?casino advisory committee
SALEM - Aimed at determining the future of Rockingham Park, Salem selectmen will form a casino advisory committee later this month.
During Monday night's meeting, the board heard from representatives of N.H. Casino Now, an advocacy group working toward legalized casino gambling in the Granite State. Project officials said a community forum would take place sometime in February, with representatives of Millennium Gaming, a group of developers hoping to bring Rockingham Park to its former glory, available to discuss casino possibilities in Salem.
Salem voters will also have the chance to offer their thoughts on the matter in March, when a nonbinding gaming referendum will appear on the 2013 warrant.
N.H. Casino Now chairman Daniel Norris said Monday night he felt "the time was now" to start conversations on a potential casino in Salem, with a committee to determine uses for any revenues coming in via localized casino gambling. As town officials await word on pending casino legislation in Concord, the board agreed to table a committee vote until the Jan. 28 meeting. But Norris said it's likely the committee would include town manager Keith Hickey and community development director William Scott, representatives from the board of selectmen, budget committee and school board, citizen representatives, and a local legislator.
Last month, Rockingham Park President Edward Callahan appeared before the board to discuss the upcoming ballot question. According to Callahan, similar referendums were well-received at the Salem polls in both 1994 and 2003. However, nothing progressed any further since casino gambling remains illegal in New Hampshire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- La. Gov. Jindal files federal lawsuit over Common Core - 0
- Central High parents reminded to use caution when dropping kids off - 0
- New Manchester school district standards to give teachers more leeway - 4
- Construction to begin on Hollis playground - 0
- New Derry school year launch honors everyday heroes - 0
- Stevens High School in Claremont to have start pushed back to Sept. 10 because of renovations - 0
- Plymouth State's $32 million health, track facility seen as student draw - 1
- Free school meals rejected as Manchester board bucks federal program - 51
- Proposed hike for Manchester's driver education course reversed - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help