Salem selectmen to form?casino advisory committee
SALEM - Aimed at determining the future of Rockingham Park, Salem selectmen will form a casino advisory committee later this month.
During Monday night's meeting, the board heard from representatives of N.H. Casino Now, an advocacy group working toward legalized casino gambling in the Granite State. Project officials said a community forum would take place sometime in February, with representatives of Millennium Gaming, a group of developers hoping to bring Rockingham Park to its former glory, available to discuss casino possibilities in Salem.
Salem voters will also have the chance to offer their thoughts on the matter in March, when a nonbinding gaming referendum will appear on the 2013 warrant.
N.H. Casino Now chairman Daniel Norris said Monday night he felt "the time was now" to start conversations on a potential casino in Salem, with a committee to determine uses for any revenues coming in via localized casino gambling. As town officials await word on pending casino legislation in Concord, the board agreed to table a committee vote until the Jan. 28 meeting. But Norris said it's likely the committee would include town manager Keith Hickey and community development director William Scott, representatives from the board of selectmen, budget committee and school board, citizen representatives, and a local legislator.
Last month, Rockingham Park President Edward Callahan appeared before the board to discuss the upcoming ballot question. According to Callahan, similar referendums were well-received at the Salem polls in both 1994 and 2003. However, nothing progressed any further since casino gambling remains illegal in New Hampshire.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- George Will: Regulatory overkill everywhere - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Ann Kuster loves Obamacare but won't pay for it - 36
- John Stossel: Earth Day is more like Earth Daze - 3
- Drew Cline: Rand Paul's coalition vs. Ted Cruz's army - 5
- Another View -- Jeff Goley and Will Infantine: Time for an increase in weekly benefits for NH unemployed - 4
- George Will: Understanding our divisions - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attorney General Eric Holder's race card - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 14
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Minor injury in crash at Concord airport - 0
- Salem man faces DWI charge after Manchester crash - 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'