Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Ex-Gilford man convicted of raping teen seeks retrial
Ernest P. Willis was convicted in 2011 of two counts of forcible rape and one count of felonious sexual assault for raping Tina Anderson. He is serving a 15- to 30-year prison term.
Willis' attorneys seek a new trial, claiming the trial court erred when it allowed the jury to hear an audio tape of an interview police conducted with Willis. The defense claimed the tape contained statements prejudicial to Willis and irrelevant to the case.
The defense and state also clashed over whether statements Willis made to his pastor - Charles Phelps - should have been used against him at trial. Phelps was pastor of the fundamentalist Trinity Baptist Church in Concord at the time. Both Willis and Anderson were members of the church.
The defense argued the statements Willis made to Phelps involved spiritual counseling and were protected under the rules of religious privilege. The state claims state child protection laws override the religious privilege.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- City man charged with endangering child - 0
- Coos Superior Court hands up indictments - 0
- Coos County jury indicts Lancaster man in theft of firearms - 0
- Page Restaurant owners agree to pay $4,000 as part of plea deal - 0
- Driver arrested after nearly hitting Canaan police chief - 0
- Police say man attacked woman with sword - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Former Berlin man to be sentenced April 1 for credit union robbery - 0
- Burglary spee brings more charges for Seabrook man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 3
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- “The VA has pointed me in the right direction,” he said. - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
City man charged with endangering child
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424