May 24, 2013
May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
Ex-Gilford man convicted of raping teen seeks retrial
Ernest P. Willis was convicted in 2011 of two counts of forcible rape and one count of felonious sexual assault for raping Tina Anderson. He is serving a 15- to 30-year prison term.
Willis' attorneys seek a new trial, claiming the trial court erred when it allowed the jury to hear an audio tape of an interview police conducted with Willis. The defense claimed the tape contained statements prejudicial to Willis and irrelevant to the case.
The defense and state also clashed over whether statements Willis made to his pastor - Charles Phelps - should have been used against him at trial. Phelps was pastor of the fundamentalist Trinity Baptist Church in Concord at the time. Both Willis and Anderson were members of the church.
The defense argued the statements Willis made to Phelps involved spiritual counseling and were protected under the rules of religious privilege. The state claims state child protection laws override the religious privilege.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Portsmouth drug raid nets four arrests for sale of heroin - 0
- Manchester Market clerk robbed by man armed with knife - 0
- Man who spent days under Salem woman's trailer recording sentenced to prison - 2
- Man sought for attempting to lure girl into white van near Nashua school - 0
- Lawyer who made porn videos of teenage daughter gets 40 years in jail - 33
- Trial delayed for Epping man charged with shooting romantic rival - 9
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 3
- Somersworth man indicted for Market Basket robbery in Epping - 1
- Former editor indicted on child porn charges - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424