May 15, 2013
May 8, 2013
May 1, 2013
April 18, 2013
Ex-Gilford man convicted of raping teen seeks retrial
Ernest P. Willis was convicted in 2011 of two counts of forcible rape and one count of felonious sexual assault for raping Tina Anderson. He is serving a 15- to 30-year prison term.
Willis' attorneys seek a new trial, claiming the trial court erred when it allowed the jury to hear an audio tape of an interview police conducted with Willis. The defense claimed the tape contained statements prejudicial to Willis and irrelevant to the case.
The defense and state also clashed over whether statements Willis made to his pastor - Charles Phelps - should have been used against him at trial. Phelps was pastor of the fundamentalist Trinity Baptist Church in Concord at the time. Both Willis and Anderson were members of the church.
The defense argued the statements Willis made to Phelps involved spiritual counseling and were protected under the rules of religious privilege. The state claims state child protection laws override the religious privilege.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portsmouth police DWI roadblock stops 179 motorists yielding 4 arrests - 0
- Nashua man arrested on charges of sexually assaulting underage girl - 3
- Mass. men arrested on drugs, weapons charges - 0
- Mass. residents charged after Hollis man beaten and stabbed - 11
- Judge gives Salem engineer with underwater mortgage year in jail for growing pot - 1
- Teen party takes Derry rep by surprise - 27
- Not-guilty plea expected in death at Danville chief's home - 24
- Police say woman was assaulted for hours - 5
- Inmate will let judge decide fraud ID case - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Winning ticket for $590.5 million Powerball jackpot sold in Florida - 0
- NH College Notebook: Honors keep coming for several Granite State athletes - 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors, beware of PGL -- Paranoia, greed and laziness - 0
- Marine think tank to move to former Great Bay campus - 0
- Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Vending machines go natural - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Lots to love about NH road race/triathlon scene - 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424