Home » News » Public Safety
Minor crashes pile up as snow blankets New Hampshire
Eric Stott, spokesman with the state Traffic Management Center in Concord, said speeds were reduced to 45 mph on the state's major highways because of snow-covered roads and reported crashes. On some sections of Route 93, especially through the Hooksett-Manchester area of exits 7 to 9, traffic was moving at about 35 mph as of 8 a.m.
Stott said while it is not the first snowstorm of the season, it has been a mild winter so far and motorists appear to need to learn again how to drive in snow. Drivers, he said, should slow down and allow extra time to reach their destination.
State DOT workers were out between 3 and 4 a.m. pre-treating some of the state roads in an effort to prevent snow from sticking to the surfaces, according to Stott.
The problem with today's storm, he said, is that it is a fine snow that, in some instances, limits visibility and is falling during the morning commute in the middle of the week when traffic is heavier.
From Belmont to Concord to Epsom to Windham to Auburn to Rochester and beyond, emergency personnel were being dispatched for cars off the road and rollovers. In Belmont, no police supervisor was available to answer a call because all were sent out for reported accidents. A dispatcher suggested a reporter call back Wednesday afternoon.
More than 150 schools have closed for the day in New Hampshire, according to WMUR's website. The Manchester School District has canceled classes for the day.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester 10-year-old, grandmother escape fire in home with no smoke detectors - 0
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 10
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
- Claremont police warn public about suspicious soda bottles - 1
- Mechanical failure ruled out in fatal plane crash that claimed lives of two Kingston men - 0
- UPDATED: Cause of three-alarm Derry blaze under investigation - 1
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Kuster, Shea-Porter split on vote to arm Syrian rebels - 0
- Man arrested in White Park stabbing in Concord - 0
- Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester - 3
- Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too - 3
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Modified tour is shortened - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Pats wary of veteran playmaker Woodson - 0
- College Football: Expect offense when Richmond, UNH meet - 0
- Young fighters' dreams on display tonight at Fight to Educate - 0
- Drew Cline: When Republicans turn off Republicans - 8
Two arrested, car and cash seized in SWAT raid, drug bust at South Mammoth Road home in Manchester
Keene man charged with assault on 2-year-old
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Havenstein says Christie backing a 'boost'