Home » Opinion » Editorials
Myles Webster's sentence: Justice served
Webster shot Doherty seven times with a .357 Magnum. He also fired into an apartment and at a passing car during rush hour. Amazingly, no one was killed. To her credit, Superior Court Judge Gillian Abramson issued a sentence based in part on the solid evidence that someone likely would be if Webster ever set foot on a public street again.
Abramson sentenced Webster, age 23, to 60 years to life. The court needed "to remove you from society," she told him.
A lengthy prison term is not the right punishment for every crime. It is exactly the right punishment for this crime. Abramson deserves a hand for recognizing the appropriate punishment here and applying it. If more judges gave sentences like this in cases like this, fewer citizens would be victimized, and our streets would be safer.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Once more, with even more feeling - 0
- NH College Roundup: Dartmouth basketball team rips Maine - 0
- Dartmouth hockey team tops Harvard for first victory - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Defense drives Wildcats' bus -- all the way to Orono - 1
- Men's Hockey: DeSmith posts shutout as Wildcats sweep Colorado College - 0
- College Football: Complete victory sees UNH move on in FCS playoffs - 1
- College Sports Roundup: SNHU falls in PAL/Stovepipe hockey play - 0
- NH College Notebook: Six SNHU men's soccer players named to All-East Region team - 0
- College Football: UNH overwhelms Lafayette in FCS first round - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event