Home » Opinion » Editorials
Myles Webster's sentence: Justice served
Webster shot Doherty seven times with a .357 Magnum. He also fired into an apartment and at a passing car during rush hour. Amazingly, no one was killed. To her credit, Superior Court Judge Gillian Abramson issued a sentence based in part on the solid evidence that someone likely would be if Webster ever set foot on a public street again.
Abramson sentenced Webster, age 23, to 60 years to life. The court needed "to remove you from society," she told him.
A lengthy prison term is not the right punishment for every crime. It is exactly the right punishment for this crime. Abramson deserves a hand for recognizing the appropriate punishment here and applying it. If more judges gave sentences like this in cases like this, fewer citizens would be victimized, and our streets would be safer.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- David Harsanyi: Get the IRS out of the speech business altogether - 9
- Another View -- Ryan Gallagher: The U.S. government spies on reporters all too frequently - 4
- John Stossel: Who has true grit anymore? - 0
- Another View: New Hampshire would take a risky bet on casinos - 6
- Ramesh Ponnuru: In flextime fight, liberals play to their stereotype - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Benghazi's smoking guns - 1
- Another View: Nashua does need to conduct its own review of commuter rail - 1
- George Will: Forgetting the lessons of Watergate - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Screeching lies does not count as debate - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Glenn Normandeau: Protecting endangered non-game species a NH success story - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors, beware of PGL -- Paranoia, greed and laziness - 0
- Marine think tank to move to former Great Bay campus - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: Lots to love about NH road race/triathlon scene - 0
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win - 0
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
- Three Fisher Cat hurlers combine to pitch shutout - 0
- Lakes Region, Great Bay CC hold commencement ceremonies - 0
Ortiz knocks in six in Red Sox win
UNH Law School grads told to 'serve justice'
Lebanon College graduates 19