Original Dear Abby has died
Phillips, whose twin sister Esther wrote the rival "Ann Landers" column, died in Minneapolis Wednesday after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease.
"I have lost my mother, my mentor and my best friend," daughter Jeanne Phillips, the current Dear Abby, said in a statement released by the syndicator of the column, Universal Uclick.
"My mother leaves very big high heels to fill with a legacy of compassion, commitment and positive social change. I will honor her memory every day by continuing this legacy," Jeanne Phillips said.
Phillips' family announced in August 2002 that she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.
Phillips had brought daughter Jeanne in to collaborate on the syndicated newspaper column in 1987 and in December 2002 turned over all responsibility for it to her.
READER COMMENTS: 69
- Ignorance abounds: Obamacare and small businesses - 25
- Mayor development: Growth and a Manchester city office - 1
- Page One Editorial: Control of NH’s future: Today’s House vote will be one for the ages - 17
- Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands - 9
- Missing the point: The IRS scandal and state power - 27
- Helping panhandlers: A method worth trying in Manchester - 7
- For the people: A century of the NH primary - 0
- What innovation? The casino way is the lazy way - 10
- Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name - 4
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Franklin Pierce opens D-II World Series with win - 0
- Fisher Cats stop New Britain in completion of suspended game - 0
- Red Sox rally in eighth inning to clip Cleveland - 0
- NH's Locke wins again for Pirates; now 5-1 on year - 0
- No one injured in Manchester police cruiser crash - 0
- Animal Rescue League names Volunteer of Year - 0
- NH Business People: State Motors receives top dealer honor - 0
- Exeter company launches refrigerated dog food line - 0
- Gorham mill's new CEO aims for niche market - 0
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions
Memorial Day services, events around NH
- Should adultery remain a crime under U.S. military law?
- Total Votes: 641