Original Dear Abby has died
Phillips, whose twin sister Esther wrote the rival "Ann Landers" column, died in Minneapolis Wednesday after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease.
"I have lost my mother, my mentor and my best friend," daughter Jeanne Phillips, the current Dear Abby, said in a statement released by the syndicator of the column, Universal Uclick.
"My mother leaves very big high heels to fill with a legacy of compassion, commitment and positive social change. I will honor her memory every day by continuing this legacy," Jeanne Phillips said.
Phillips' family announced in August 2002 that she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.
Phillips had brought daughter Jeanne in to collaborate on the syndicated newspaper column in 1987 and in December 2002 turned over all responsibility for it to her.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sheridan Brown: NH is vulnerable to an oil spill and needs some protection - 2
- Al Felgar: Patients can’t wait for state to fix narrow Obamacare network - 2
- George Will: The benefits of prudence - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Paul and Cruz vie to become Reagan's heir - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal education policies hurt minorities - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Yes, our paltry rainy day fund is a really big deal - 3
- Rep. Terie Norelli: New Hampshire workers deserve higher minimum wages - 2
- Les Bernal: Why don’t casino advocates and executives patronize casinos? - 6
- David Harsanyi: Do most Americans agree with Demsocrats? - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hollis voters approve all warrant articles - 0
- Div. I Girls' Basketball: Bedford advances to final with ease - 0
- Boys' Hockey: Souhegan, John Stark-Hopkinton advance in Div. III - 0
- Div. II Boys' Hockey: Bow and Bedford to meet for crown - 0
- Div. I Boys' Hockey: Londonderry moves on to title game - 0
- Div. I Boys' Hockey: Central pulls the semifinal upset - 0
- Bruins edge Phoenix for seventh straight win - 0
- Div. I Girls' Basketball: Fagula's last game will be for title - 0
- Another small step toward a new police station in Plaistow - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown to announce exploratory committee for U.S. Senate run
No dice: House kills casino gambling bill
- Should a 13-year-old have a TV in their bedroom?
- Total Votes: 547