Original Dear Abby has died
Pauline Phillps, who wrote the Dear Abby column before turning those duties over to her daughter Jeanne in 2002, died Wednesday at age 94. (Reuters)
Phillips, whose twin sister Esther wrote the rival "Ann Landers" column, died in Minneapolis Wednesday after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease.
"I have lost my mother, my mentor and my best friend," daughter Jeanne Phillips, the current Dear Abby, said in a statement released by the syndicator of the column, Universal Uclick.
"My mother leaves very big high heels to fill with a legacy of compassion, commitment and positive social change. I will honor her memory every day by continuing this legacy," Jeanne Phillips said.
Phillips' family announced in August 2002 that she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.
Phillips had brought daughter Jeanne in to collaborate on the syndicated newspaper column in 1987 and in December 2002 turned over all responsibility for it to her.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH library halts book disposal after complaints - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Valenti Modified race was top shelf - 0
- Manchester school official points to 7 weapons cases not brought to conduct committee - 0
- Edie Loeb Tomasko dies, leaves UpReach Therapeutic Riding Center legacy - 0
- Witt named UNH women’s hockey coach - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Lacrosse: Bedford boys remains focused on third title - 0
- Fisher Cats steal home, beat New Britain - 0
- Executive Council vote: Centralized immunization registry becoming a reality - 0
- Littleton music store still playing the right notes - 0
New Hampshire Club Notes
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison