Original Dear Abby has died
Phillips, whose twin sister Esther wrote the rival "Ann Landers" column, died in Minneapolis Wednesday after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease.
"I have lost my mother, my mentor and my best friend," daughter Jeanne Phillips, the current Dear Abby, said in a statement released by the syndicator of the column, Universal Uclick.
"My mother leaves very big high heels to fill with a legacy of compassion, commitment and positive social change. I will honor her memory every day by continuing this legacy," Jeanne Phillips said.
Phillips' family announced in August 2002 that she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.
Phillips had brought daughter Jeanne in to collaborate on the syndicated newspaper column in 1987 and in December 2002 turned over all responsibility for it to her.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Eagles’ Kelly amps up support for Foles - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way (again) - 0
- For Patriots, an imperfect victory over Houston - 0
- NH's Griffin settling into NFL with Texans - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Gap between Pats, Texans may not be so large - 0
- NFL Thanksgiving Roundup: Ravens outlast Steelers - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: When things look bleak, they just keep playing ... and winning - 0
- Patriots edge Broncos in OT after remarkable comeback - 1
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats have Del Rio's number - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 0
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 0
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 0
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 1
Science, art combine for cancer fundraiser
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Judge rules to keep officers on Laurie list