Nov 6, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Manchester day camp shed destroyed in arson
When firefighters arrived Wednesday night at Melody Pines Day Camp on Crystal Lake in Manchester, this 20-by-30-foot shed was in flames. (Courtesy)
The 20-by-30-foot building served a dual purpose: to store the summer camp's ski equipment and as a play structure for children. A slide was attached to it, allowing children to slide down and into the lake.
Erika Connors, who co-owns the 510 Corning Road camp with her husband, Stephen, said a neighbor across the lake spotted the fire just before midnight and called the owners. By then, fire trucks were already en route, she said.
District Fire Chief Michael Gamache said only the skeleton of the building, which was completely in flames, was standing when fire crews arrived.
Weather and access were issues for firefighters, who had to delay their initial attack. Still, crews had the blaze under control in about 15 minutes.
Fire investigators determined the blaze was an arson although they have yet to determine how and where it began.They also do not know if it is related to several other arson fires last summer in that neighborhood but are looking into that possibility.
Total damage, including the building, slide and equipment, is estimated at $30,000.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ferguson protests enter third day; arrests in St. Louis - 0
- Abuse history at Nashua address where 3-year-old died - 2
- Franklin robbery suspect sought, considered armed and dangerous - 0
- Franklin man and woman arraigned for attempted prostitution of minor - 0
- Police investigating death of 3-year-old girl in Nashua - 7
- Police say hit-and-run driver was observed tossing beer cans from car - 1
- Police say woman stole pocketbook at Hudson Market Basket - 0
- Police say former manager of Hudson McDonald's stole $10k from restaurant - 1
- Manchester man facing two aggravated felonious sexual assault charges - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
- Dave Solomon's Power Plays: Who knew what and when in PSNH scrubber case? - 0
- Story of Marine Memorial at Hampton Beach begins with Bill Downs - 0
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- Puritans in America: Daniel Webster on religion's role - 0
- Mitt Romney is out front, but says he's not running again - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483