Home » News » Public Safety
Officials say 12 students sickened at Greenland school may have the flu
About 12 students became ill at Greenland Central School Thursday morning, but officials said they think the students may have the flu. Jason Schreiber/Union Leader Correspondent
Greenland emergency crews were called to the school after the students fell ill around 9:30 a.m. and went to the nurse's office.
"We went in with gas meters and tested the air and we found nothing at all. It was all clear," Fire Chief Ralph Cresta said.
Emergency medical technicians examined the students, but all of their vital signs were normal, and none were transported to the hospital, Cresta said. The students were released to their parents.
The exact cause of the sickness wasn't determined, but Cresta said it may be a case of the flu and was coincidental that they all began feeling ill around the same time.
"This flu that's been going around has been pretty bad," Cresta said.
School superintendent George Cushing said he isn't aware of any science projects being done around the time the students began feeling sick.
Like at other schools, some Greenland students and staff have been hit with the influenza-like symptoms, including a fifth-grade teacher who recently returned to school after battling the flu, Cushing said.
One ambulance from Greenland responded to the school.
"We were just trying to get some support from the fire department and the EMTs to figure out what was going on," Cushing said.
In a letter to parents, school principal Peter Smith said the school's nurse reported the incident to the state's public health nurse.
READER COMMENTS: 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
- Barrington home destroyed in two-alarm blaze - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
- 'He is risen': 'As he said' - 0
- A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data - 0
- City budget talk: How about solutions instead? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Defense has let Sox down so far - 0
- Developers think Guard site would have big potential - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: The zealots win again - 0
- George Will: Regulatory overkill everywhere - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire