Home » News » Public Safety
Officials say 12 students sickened at Greenland school may have the flu
About 12 students became ill at Greenland Central School Thursday morning, but officials said they think the students may have the flu. Jason Schreiber/Union Leader Correspondent
Greenland emergency crews were called to the school after the students fell ill around 9:30 a.m. and went to the nurse's office.
"We went in with gas meters and tested the air and we found nothing at all. It was all clear," Fire Chief Ralph Cresta said.
Emergency medical technicians examined the students, but all of their vital signs were normal, and none were transported to the hospital, Cresta said. The students were released to their parents.
The exact cause of the sickness wasn't determined, but Cresta said it may be a case of the flu and was coincidental that they all began feeling ill around the same time.
"This flu that's been going around has been pretty bad," Cresta said.
School superintendent George Cushing said he isn't aware of any science projects being done around the time the students began feeling sick.
Like at other schools, some Greenland students and staff have been hit with the influenza-like symptoms, including a fifth-grade teacher who recently returned to school after battling the flu, Cushing said.
One ambulance from Greenland responded to the school.
"We were just trying to get some support from the fire department and the EMTs to figure out what was going on," Cushing said.
In a letter to parents, school principal Peter Smith said the school's nurse reported the incident to the state's public health nurse.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Power restored to downtown Manchester - 0
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 2
- Rochester, Dover police to collect expired prescription drugs - 0
- Search for missing swimmer halted in Bristol, to continue Tuesday - 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Track Preview: Jenkins paces defending champ North - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Track Preview: McCabe, Parker lead way - 0
- Manchester DPW chief says up to 20 layoffs possible with proposed budget - 7
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: O’Neill’s injury leaves offensive void - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Baseball: No doubt about it, Fisher Cats still confident - 0
- Another View -- Bobby Jindal: NH should trust parents to choose schools - 1
- Taxes and spending: Washington vs. NH - 2
- Texting while stopped: Banning safe behavior - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: A $400 million hole was just blown in the state budget - 0
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers
Manchester settles with federal civil rights agency over minority students in advanced courses