Home » Opinion » Editorials
Joseph W. McQuaid: Anti-gun shenanigans are outrageous and foolish
Foolish: A New Hampshire legislator carping that a normal activity involving guns, specifically a police chiefs' fundraising raffle, should cease because of the Newtown, Conn., school shooting tragedy.
We thought the national issue for the President was the safety and well-being of young children. In the wake of Newtown, we were told repeatedly not to even bring up that terrible massacre with the little ones. So what does Obama do?
He puts some of them on stage, spotlights the tragedy, and thereby attracts the attention and curiosity of thousands more children around the country. Pleasant dreams, kids.
Here in New Hampshire, Democratic state Rep. Sharon Nordgren of Hanover takes offense that the Chiefs of Police Association didn't cancel a raffle begun last October to raise money for an annual youth police academy.
Nordgren doesn't like it that guns will be raffled off to qualified winners. It is insensitive, says she, not only because of Newtown but because of previous shootings.
"They should be pulling back and trying to not be so upfront," she said.
Nonsense. The chiefs' association is to be applauded for its long-standing sponsorship of the youth training academy and for a perfectly sensible and obviously popular (it is already sold out) gun raffle.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 2
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 12
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return