Home » Opinion » Editorials
Joseph W. McQuaid: Anti-gun shenanigans are outrageous and foolish
Foolish: A New Hampshire legislator carping that a normal activity involving guns, specifically a police chiefs' fundraising raffle, should cease because of the Newtown, Conn., school shooting tragedy.
We thought the national issue for the President was the safety and well-being of young children. In the wake of Newtown, we were told repeatedly not to even bring up that terrible massacre with the little ones. So what does Obama do?
He puts some of them on stage, spotlights the tragedy, and thereby attracts the attention and curiosity of thousands more children around the country. Pleasant dreams, kids.
Here in New Hampshire, Democratic state Rep. Sharon Nordgren of Hanover takes offense that the Chiefs of Police Association didn't cancel a raffle begun last October to raise money for an annual youth police academy.
Nordgren doesn't like it that guns will be raffled off to qualified winners. It is insensitive, says she, not only because of Newtown but because of previous shootings.
"They should be pulling back and trying to not be so upfront," she said.
Nonsense. The chiefs' association is to be applauded for its long-standing sponsorship of the youth training academy and for a perfectly sensible and obviously popular (it is already sold out) gun raffle.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Supervised visitation: The metal detector problem - 1
- Charter cap trap: A restriction to repeal - 0
- Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal - 4
- Bedford’s road bond: A good deal for a big fix - 1
- Legislative ethics: NH way works better than most - 0
- Blue shame: Obamacare's big change - 19
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 21
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 10
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'