Home » Opinion » Editorials
Joseph W. McQuaid: Anti-gun shenanigans are outrageous and foolish
Foolish: A New Hampshire legislator carping that a normal activity involving guns, specifically a police chiefs' fundraising raffle, should cease because of the Newtown, Conn., school shooting tragedy.
We thought the national issue for the President was the safety and well-being of young children. In the wake of Newtown, we were told repeatedly not to even bring up that terrible massacre with the little ones. So what does Obama do?
He puts some of them on stage, spotlights the tragedy, and thereby attracts the attention and curiosity of thousands more children around the country. Pleasant dreams, kids.
Here in New Hampshire, Democratic state Rep. Sharon Nordgren of Hanover takes offense that the Chiefs of Police Association didn't cancel a raffle begun last October to raise money for an annual youth police academy.
Nordgren doesn't like it that guns will be raffled off to qualified winners. It is insensitive, says she, not only because of Newtown but because of previous shootings.
"They should be pulling back and trying to not be so upfront," she said.
Nonsense. The chiefs' association is to be applauded for its long-standing sponsorship of the youth training academy and for a perfectly sensible and obviously popular (it is already sold out) gun raffle.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- Sheridan Brown: NH is vulnerable to an oil spill and needs some protection - 2
- Al Felgar: Patients can’t wait for state to fix narrow Obamacare network - 2
- George Will: The benefits of prudence - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Paul and Cruz vie to become Reagan's heir - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal education policies hurt minorities - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Yes, our paltry rainy day fund is a really big deal - 3
- Rep. Terie Norelli: New Hampshire workers deserve higher minimum wages - 2
- Les Bernal: Why don’t casino advocates and executives patronize casinos? - 6
- David Harsanyi: Do most Americans agree with Demsocrats? - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Div. II Hockey Championship: Bedford makes it perfect for third straight - 0
- Div. II Boys' Basketball Championship: It's back-to-back for Pembroke - 0
- Div. IV Boys' Basketball Championship: Stanley, Epping boys rally past Sunapee - 0
- College Basketball: Albany men take America East title - 0
- Slebodnick, Cornell women fall short in NCAAs - 0
- Edelman will re-sign with Patriots - 0
- Chace, Team USA win second straight Paralympic hockey gold - 0
- GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity - 1
- Man ID'd as kissing sailor in iconic Times Square photograph dies at 86 - 0
NH Supreme Court: Protecting police from liability more important than rights of man wrongly accused of rape
14 people arrested in Nashua drug sweep
'Hometown Hottie' indicted on drug charges
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown announces exploratory committee for US Senate run
GOP panel stresses teamwork, sincerity