Home » Opinion » Editorials
Joseph W. McQuaid: Anti-gun shenanigans are outrageous and foolish
Foolish: A New Hampshire legislator carping that a normal activity involving guns, specifically a police chiefs' fundraising raffle, should cease because of the Newtown, Conn., school shooting tragedy.
We thought the national issue for the President was the safety and well-being of young children. In the wake of Newtown, we were told repeatedly not to even bring up that terrible massacre with the little ones. So what does Obama do?
He puts some of them on stage, spotlights the tragedy, and thereby attracts the attention and curiosity of thousands more children around the country. Pleasant dreams, kids.
Here in New Hampshire, Democratic state Rep. Sharon Nordgren of Hanover takes offense that the Chiefs of Police Association didn't cancel a raffle begun last October to raise money for an annual youth police academy.
Nordgren doesn't like it that guns will be raffled off to qualified winners. It is insensitive, says she, not only because of Newtown but because of previous shootings.
"They should be pulling back and trying to not be so upfront," she said.
Nonsense. The chiefs' association is to be applauded for its long-standing sponsorship of the youth training academy and for a perfectly sensible and obviously popular (it is already sold out) gun raffle.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: Concealed carry, racism and other random thoughts - 0
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 1
- David Harsanyi: Obama acts alone on war, too - 0
- Pat Buchanan: Stepping into a basket of snakes - 0
- Pamela Diamantis: USNH’s tuition freeze offer is good for NH’s future - 4
- Deroy Murdock: Earth-friendly energy is anything but - 5
- George Will: Battle royal in Iowa - 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Our real Syria strategy: containment-plus - 0
- Roger Simon: Do 'real men' hit women? - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Body of woman found under Claremont bridge - 0
- Woman sentenced to a year in jail for crash - 0
- New tech course open to students in Londonderry - 0
- UPDATED: Nashua man accused of beating girlfriend - 0
- Developer granted permit for wind tower in Alexandria - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Man faces charge of simple assault against son’s mother - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Bedford, Concord deadlock - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer: Central shows title mettle - 0
- Dave D'onofrio Patriots Notebook: Don't expect Patriots to fix this - 0
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
State surplus isn't big enough
Weare police sergeant's firing rescinded
Planned Parenthood endorses Hassan
By the horn: Feds owe NH man an explanation