Home » Opinion » Editorials
Sandy relief: No place for politics?
The U.S. House finally passed a Hurricane Sandy relief bill on Tuesday. New Hampshire's two members of Congress, Carol Shea-Porter and Ann Kuster, voted for the bill. Afterward, they issued statements.
"There is no place for politics when helping our communities recover from a disaster," Shea-Porter said. Kuster said, "I'm pleased that members of both parties were able to put politics aside to get this done."
If there is "no place for politics" in disaster relief legislation, then why did the bill include, in the words of Time magazine, "some $12 billion in long-term development projects that was open to nearly all states"? Why did it include funding for the Smithsonian Institution?
It took so long to pass Sandy relief because it had been stuffed with unrelated spending that would have been harder to pass were it not attached to an emergency relief bill. Republicans got some of the unrelated spending removed, but billions remained. For trying to keep the bill limited to direct Sandy aid, they were accused of playing politics with hurricane relief.
And politicians wonder why they are held in such low regard.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 2
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 43
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 37
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 10
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 71
- Race and policing: America has a problem - 0
- Strength in faith: Gaining it from Jim Foley's family - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name