Fergus Cullen: What vanity plates say about Granite Staters
Twitter gives you 140 characters to make your point. Ernest Hemingway, challenged to write a complete story in six words, is said to have come up with: "For sale: Baby shoes, never used." It takes real creativity to tell a story in six or seven characters on a license plate, the best of which are puns, puzzles, or riddles that say something about the driver.
What do vanity plates say about Granite Staters? All of the following are real New Hampshire tags:
We root for the home teams: YWKYWY, 12BRADY, REDSX04, NOMAH, BRUINFN, CELTGRL, O4&7SOX.
And other teams have fans, too: DBRNCOS, YANKY9.
We are proud to have served: VETRN, VIET67, VUSMC, WESTPT, WW2KOR, XNAVY, V164TH, US-POW, 12THCAV, SEMPRFY, NAM-3X.
We're always ready to talk politics: TAX2DTH, TAXDOUT, GOP-1, NOGOP, DEMOCRT, NO4NJNK, NO4NOIL, NOBAMA-.
Some of us have secret identities or superpowers: BATMAN, SUPAMN, ZOMBI, WIZRD, T&RDIS, DRTHVDR, 1DRWMN, +GONZO, ELV1S, SCOOBDO, UNDEAD, UNDADOG, DBLO7, SHREK, A-TEAM, DR-EVIL, MICKMSE, MOMPWR.
We play sports: WE-SKI, 2-PUTT, NO3PUTT, 1ST&TEN, T2GRN, T3NNIS, TACKL, SOCAH, RUN26-2, SKIBUM1, UMPREF, 1STRACS, DOSPRTS.
Some of us are barely holding it together: SYCOMOM.
Some have, if not delusions of grandeur, then high ambitions: USPRES, POTUS, 1STLDY.
We're true to our school: SUNDVLZ, 1UCONN, TARHEEL, UKHOOPS, UMAINE, U-MASS, U-MICH, UNHWCAT, DARTMTH, NOVA72.
We ponder life's mysteries: WHYME, Y-NOT-, -WWJD-, LETITGO, LFZSHRT.
We have a sense of humor: 155MPH, 2NDWFE, 3MPG.
We believe in the power of positive thinking: DO-N-OK, WE-WIN, TAKABOW, WAY2GO, +CLOUD9.
We like to see what we can get away with at the DMV: 1BADSS, SUMBECH, SHGNWGN, FUBAR52, SNAF-U.
Some of us wish we were somewhere else: WOOSTA, TAUNTON, LIVINVT, +BKLYN+, SUGARLF, VEGAS.
Many head for the hills: WHMTNS, T8KA-HK, +6288FT, WLDCAT, MTCLIMR.
We're hometown-proud: NAHMSHA, WEIRSB, SUGAHIL, SUNPEE, UMB-GOG, O38O1NH, MONADNK, LFOD.
We can be punny: SUEBARU, NOAHSRK, B+BEEP, UKELADY, NOJB2OD, MRSSIPE.
The car's not for us: 4ROVER, DOGBUS, DOGMOBL, DOGSSUV, DOGTAXI.
We're patriotic: +USA-1, 1776USA, ILOVUSA.
We're classic: +58VET, 1969VW, 1914T, 37PKRD, 65PONY.
We give fair warning: BADAPL, BIPOLR, BBBAD, 12-GAGE, 12STEPR, 1BADCHC, 1BDPNNY, NAASTY, DBLUGLY.
We're humming a tune: SUMRO69, SWTMLSA, SHNDOAH.
We love our grandkids: 11XMEME, NO1GRMY.
We're playful: TAGURIT.
We collaborate and help our communities: SHRINER, ROTARY, +BPOE+.
But officer: +BCNU, 2FST4U, RUNINL8.
And before you drive off, keep in mind: LFIZGD, DONWORY, NOBADYS, LIVALTL, +BEKIND, &PB4UGO.
Fergus Cullen, a freelance columnist, can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Roadside directives aren't always as helpful as they should be - 1
- Immigrants include ethnic dishes at their Thanksgiving table - 0
- A Deep South college town carries his name, but NH's general is no local fixture - 2
- After the election is over, the signs remain - 4
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Shelters provide stable places to rebuild lives - 0
- School's out for voters - 3
- How stable is this telephone pole? - 0
- Tenants, landlords trumped by persistent bedbugs - 4
- Neighbors want a sound wall for a wall of highway sound - 0
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Library namesake rescued from the vault: Elenora Blood Carpenter gets her rightful placeREADER COMMENTS: 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Update: Ossipee woman killed in late-night Moultonborough crash - 0
- State House Dome: Just past Concord session a mixed bag - 0
- Monarchs squeak by Bruins - 0
- Memorial hockey shuts out Trinity - 0
- Dover's Parratto a national champion - 0
- UNH defense comes up big against Redbirds - 0
- St. Anselm men knock off Post - 0
- Leadership, defense made Katie Bishop, of Conway, an All-American - 0
- Jet menace faltered under Rex - 0
UNH loses to Illinois State
A new era for Nashua's police force
Nashua police left rattled by tot's death
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama