Fergus Cullen: What vanity plates say about Granite Staters
Twitter gives you 140 characters to make your point. Ernest Hemingway, challenged to write a complete story in six words, is said to have come up with: "For sale: Baby shoes, never used." It takes real creativity to tell a story in six or seven characters on a license plate, the best of which are puns, puzzles, or riddles that say something about the driver.
What do vanity plates say about Granite Staters? All of the following are real New Hampshire tags:
We root for the home teams: YWKYWY, 12BRADY, REDSX04, NOMAH, BRUINFN, CELTGRL, O4&7SOX.
And other teams have fans, too: DBRNCOS, YANKY9.
We are proud to have served: VETRN, VIET67, VUSMC, WESTPT, WW2KOR, XNAVY, V164TH, US-POW, 12THCAV, SEMPRFY, NAM-3X.
We're always ready to talk politics: TAX2DTH, TAXDOUT, GOP-1, NOGOP, DEMOCRT, NO4NJNK, NO4NOIL, NOBAMA-.
Some of us have secret identities or superpowers: BATMAN, SUPAMN, ZOMBI, WIZRD, T&RDIS, DRTHVDR, 1DRWMN, +GONZO, ELV1S, SCOOBDO, UNDEAD, UNDADOG, DBLO7, SHREK, A-TEAM, DR-EVIL, MICKMSE, MOMPWR.
We play sports: WE-SKI, 2-PUTT, NO3PUTT, 1ST&TEN, T2GRN, T3NNIS, TACKL, SOCAH, RUN26-2, SKIBUM1, UMPREF, 1STRACS, DOSPRTS.
Some of us are barely holding it together: SYCOMOM.
Some have, if not delusions of grandeur, then high ambitions: USPRES, POTUS, 1STLDY.
We're true to our school: SUNDVLZ, 1UCONN, TARHEEL, UKHOOPS, UMAINE, U-MASS, U-MICH, UNHWCAT, DARTMTH, NOVA72.
We ponder life's mysteries: WHYME, Y-NOT-, -WWJD-, LETITGO, LFZSHRT.
We have a sense of humor: 155MPH, 2NDWFE, 3MPG.
We believe in the power of positive thinking: DO-N-OK, WE-WIN, TAKABOW, WAY2GO, +CLOUD9.
We like to see what we can get away with at the DMV: 1BADSS, SUMBECH, SHGNWGN, FUBAR52, SNAF-U.
Some of us wish we were somewhere else: WOOSTA, TAUNTON, LIVINVT, +BKLYN+, SUGARLF, VEGAS.
Many head for the hills: WHMTNS, T8KA-HK, +6288FT, WLDCAT, MTCLIMR.
We're hometown-proud: NAHMSHA, WEIRSB, SUGAHIL, SUNPEE, UMB-GOG, O38O1NH, MONADNK, LFOD.
We can be punny: SUEBARU, NOAHSRK, B+BEEP, UKELADY, NOJB2OD, MRSSIPE.
The car's not for us: 4ROVER, DOGBUS, DOGMOBL, DOGSSUV, DOGTAXI.
We're patriotic: +USA-1, 1776USA, ILOVUSA.
We're classic: +58VET, 1969VW, 1914T, 37PKRD, 65PONY.
We give fair warning: BADAPL, BIPOLR, BBBAD, 12-GAGE, 12STEPR, 1BADCHC, 1BDPNNY, NAASTY, DBLUGLY.
We're humming a tune: SUMRO69, SWTMLSA, SHNDOAH.
We love our grandkids: 11XMEME, NO1GRMY.
We're playful: TAGURIT.
We collaborate and help our communities: SHRINER, ROTARY, +BPOE+.
But officer: +BCNU, 2FST4U, RUNINL8.
And before you drive off, keep in mind: LFIZGD, DONWORY, NOBADYS, LIVALTL, +BEKIND, &PB4UGO.
Fergus Cullen, a freelance columnist, can be reached at email@example.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 26
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 35
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
- Jeb takes a dip: First Flavor of the Week - 21
- Asking about marriage: The Census should keep doing it - 3
- All lives matter: Even Al Sharpton says so - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onfrio's Patriots Notebook: Finding a way to win - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: NoNose gets readers talking like nobody's business - 0
- Know the Law: Your trust can be named beneficiary of an IRA - 0
- Another View -- Bill O'Brien: Ask your state rep. to vote for transparency in the House - 0
- Old friends and a 'homeless angel' make for good stories anytime - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 0
- New coats warm city kids, firefighters' hearts - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Martin, Pinkerton top Salem in tournament - 0
- Inmate reported missing from Concord transitional unit - 0
The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama
'Everybody was extremely fortunate'