Another View -- Larry Jones: After these 'common sense' gun restrictions, then what?
Then a madman will kill 20 or 30 defenseless students in a "gun-free zone" school using multiple semi-automatic handguns (like the killer at Virginia Tech) and multiple "low-capacity" magazines, changing them in 1.5 seconds or less. So if they're successful at getting the aforementioned bans, won't the next "common sense" law be to ban and confiscate all semi-automatic handguns and low-capacity magazines?
Then, will not a madman enter another "gun-free zone" school and kill 18 or 30 defenseless kids with three or more six-shooter revolvers by drawing a loaded revolver when one empties or using speed loaders? So should they be successful at enacting the previous bans, wouldn't the next "common-sense" law be to ban and confiscate all six-shooter revolvers and speed loaders?
If this were a perfect world and the politicians successfully banned and confiscated all the above-mentioned guns (an estimated 200-300 million) and prevent the smuggling of others across our notoriously porous borders, could not another madman take a car and steamroll it through a playground in another "gun-free zone" school, killing 20 or more defenseless kids while the teachers, helpless to stop him, watched in horror?
The mass murderers never choose a gun store, gun show, gun range, NRA convention or a police station. When will the demagoguing politicians and their delusional supporters abandon their murderous insistence that our kids be defenseless? When will they demand the real common-sense measure of having armed teachers or administrators, guards, police officers or volunteers in our schools?
Larry Jones lives in Peterborough.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Thomas Sowell: A primer on race and do-gooders - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: There is no basis for liberal Hobby Lobby outrage - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: NH energy projects should produce wins for everyone - 15
- Another View - Kevin Baine: No, the Hobby Lobby ruling won't deny anyone contraception - 6
- Jonah Goldberg: Liberals dislike America - 2
- Another View -- David Ignatius: Iran overplays its hand - 0
- John Stossel: There's capitalism, and then there's crony capitalism - 1
- David Harsanyi: Not surprising more Americans believe freedom is overrated - 1
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Water-loving dogs should be watched so they don't overdo it - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 132-mph street racers blow by trooper in Nashua, one of two arrested; motorcyclist arrested on I-93 doing 107 mph - 0
- Mazzaglia to be sentenced Aug. 14 for murder of UNH student - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax - 6
- No one has a clear claim to NHMS supremacy - 0
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: Does Concord have a big spending problem? - 1
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 11
- Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot - 1
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Praising freedom: While curtailing it
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen flip flop on gas tax