Another View -- Larry Jones: After these 'common sense' gun restrictions, then what?
Then a madman will kill 20 or 30 defenseless students in a "gun-free zone" school using multiple semi-automatic handguns (like the killer at Virginia Tech) and multiple "low-capacity" magazines, changing them in 1.5 seconds or less. So if they're successful at getting the aforementioned bans, won't the next "common sense" law be to ban and confiscate all semi-automatic handguns and low-capacity magazines?
Then, will not a madman enter another "gun-free zone" school and kill 18 or 30 defenseless kids with three or more six-shooter revolvers by drawing a loaded revolver when one empties or using speed loaders? So should they be successful at enacting the previous bans, wouldn't the next "common-sense" law be to ban and confiscate all six-shooter revolvers and speed loaders?
If this were a perfect world and the politicians successfully banned and confiscated all the above-mentioned guns (an estimated 200-300 million) and prevent the smuggling of others across our notoriously porous borders, could not another madman take a car and steamroll it through a playground in another "gun-free zone" school, killing 20 or more defenseless kids while the teachers, helpless to stop him, watched in horror?
The mass murderers never choose a gun store, gun show, gun range, NRA convention or a police station. When will the demagoguing politicians and their delusional supporters abandon their murderous insistence that our kids be defenseless? When will they demand the real common-sense measure of having armed teachers or administrators, guards, police officers or volunteers in our schools?
Larry Jones lives in Peterborough.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 2
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 12
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return