Another View -- Larry Jones: After these 'common sense' gun restrictions, then what?
Then a madman will kill 20 or 30 defenseless students in a "gun-free zone" school using multiple semi-automatic handguns (like the killer at Virginia Tech) and multiple "low-capacity" magazines, changing them in 1.5 seconds or less. So if they're successful at getting the aforementioned bans, won't the next "common sense" law be to ban and confiscate all semi-automatic handguns and low-capacity magazines?
Then, will not a madman enter another "gun-free zone" school and kill 18 or 30 defenseless kids with three or more six-shooter revolvers by drawing a loaded revolver when one empties or using speed loaders? So should they be successful at enacting the previous bans, wouldn't the next "common-sense" law be to ban and confiscate all six-shooter revolvers and speed loaders?
If this were a perfect world and the politicians successfully banned and confiscated all the above-mentioned guns (an estimated 200-300 million) and prevent the smuggling of others across our notoriously porous borders, could not another madman take a car and steamroll it through a playground in another "gun-free zone" school, killing 20 or more defenseless kids while the teachers, helpless to stop him, watched in horror?
The mass murderers never choose a gun store, gun show, gun range, NRA convention or a police station. When will the demagoguing politicians and their delusional supporters abandon their murderous insistence that our kids be defenseless? When will they demand the real common-sense measure of having armed teachers or administrators, guards, police officers or volunteers in our schools?
Larry Jones lives in Peterborough.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Another View -- Fred Hiatt: Disengage from the world, and this is what happens - 0
- David Harsanyi: Are teachers really underpaid? - 9
- Jonah Goldberg: The U.N. club needs higher standards - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 20
- Deroy Murdock: What if Gaza were San Diego instead? - 1
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 55
- Another View -- Charles Lane: Obamacare and the Constitution - 22
- John Stossel: Why are we giving the police so much power? - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
- Jays' Stroman stymies Red Sox - 0
- Police seeking help to identify alleged credit card thieves - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride