Home » News » Public Safety
Colebrook company owner could go on trial for explosion, two deaths
A Coos County Superior Court grand jury early last year indicted Craig Sanborn of Maidstone, Vt., on two counts each of manslaughter and negligent homicide in the deaths of Donald Kendall and Jesse Kennett.
A spokeswoman at that court said Thursday Sanborn is scheduled for an April 14 pre-trial conference. Sanborn could face a jury the following month, but courtroom dates are seldom certain this far before trial.
Sanborn owned the Black Mag plant on May 14, 2010, when a powerful blast ripped through the factory, killing Kendall and Kennett and injuring a third worker.
The grand jury handed up indictments that alleged Sanborn negligently engaged in the manufacture, production, testing and storage of explosive materials.
After the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration found more than 50 health and safety violations at Black Mag following the blast, the company agreed to penalties that totaled $1.2 million. The violations included the company's failure to both provide employees with proper training and install federally required safety equipment.
OSHA officials said they had not been aware of the plant prior to the explosion, but later concluded there had been widespread safety problems there and blamed Sanborn.
The company initially contested the OSHA penalties, but withdrew its notice of contest and agreed that it violated the OSHA Act.
The company has certified that it ceased operations "when the 2010 explosion destroyed the facility and put it out of business," according to OSHA, and Sanborn agreed to cease manufacturing explosives.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride