Home » News » Public Safety
Colebrook company owner could go on trial for explosion, two deaths
A Coos County Superior Court grand jury early last year indicted Craig Sanborn of Maidstone, Vt., on two counts each of manslaughter and negligent homicide in the deaths of Donald Kendall and Jesse Kennett.
A spokeswoman at that court said Thursday Sanborn is scheduled for an April 14 pre-trial conference. Sanborn could face a jury the following month, but courtroom dates are seldom certain this far before trial.
Sanborn owned the Black Mag plant on May 14, 2010, when a powerful blast ripped through the factory, killing Kendall and Kennett and injuring a third worker.
The grand jury handed up indictments that alleged Sanborn negligently engaged in the manufacture, production, testing and storage of explosive materials.
After the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration found more than 50 health and safety violations at Black Mag following the blast, the company agreed to penalties that totaled $1.2 million. The violations included the company's failure to both provide employees with proper training and install federally required safety equipment.
OSHA officials said they had not been aware of the plant prior to the explosion, but later concluded there had been widespread safety problems there and blamed Sanborn.
The company initially contested the OSHA penalties, but withdrew its notice of contest and agreed that it violated the OSHA Act.
The company has certified that it ceased operations "when the 2010 explosion destroyed the facility and put it out of business," according to OSHA, and Sanborn agreed to cease manufacturing explosives.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Ohio's Rob Portman: GOP can win back Senate