Home » Opinion » Editorials
Tepid on gun control: Reid's cautious reaction
"I thank the President's task force for its thoughtful recommendations," Reid said. "I am committed to ensuring that the Senate will consider legislation that addresses gun violence and other aspects of violence in our society early this year."
Reid did add that "we are not doing enough" to combat gun violence and that "all options should be on the table." But in sum his remarks were decidedly lukewarm. They were the sort of comments politicians give when they want to appear open to a proposal they really wish would go away.
Reid, of course, is from Nevada, where guns are ingrained in the culture. Because of that, he has been so friendly to gun-owner rights over the years that the NRA's Wayne LaPierre once called him "a true champion of the Second Amendment back in Washington, D.C."
Reid knows that at least seven Senate Democrats could lose their seats this year by voting for strict gun control measures, according to several Washington political reporters. Liberals will blame this on the NRA. Really, it's because so many voters are wary of government efforts to control guns, which is something New Hampshire's delegation needs to keep in mind.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA track meets rescheduled to Sunday - 0
- High School Lacrosse: Trinity a pushover no longer - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Santos hits milestone in BG girls’ lacrosse win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- Milford's Morgan Andrews named Gatorade NationalGirls Soccer Player of the Year - 0
- Goffstown team to beat in NHIAA Div. II baseball tourney - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford rolls in NHIAA tennis tournament opener - 0
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Londonderry’s double threat - 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather may be more like Veterans Day than Memorial Day - 0
- Awards cap city's Small Business Week - 0
- Rock Cats-Fisher Cats suspended - 0
- Budget plan presses NH hospitals to join managed care networks - 0
- Students hold ceremony to honor flags - 0
- This week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Concert to aid Nashua man with rare disease
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty