Home » Opinion » Editorials
Tepid on gun control: Reid's cautious reaction
"I thank the President's task force for its thoughtful recommendations," Reid said. "I am committed to ensuring that the Senate will consider legislation that addresses gun violence and other aspects of violence in our society early this year."
Reid did add that "we are not doing enough" to combat gun violence and that "all options should be on the table." But in sum his remarks were decidedly lukewarm. They were the sort of comments politicians give when they want to appear open to a proposal they really wish would go away.
Reid, of course, is from Nevada, where guns are ingrained in the culture. Because of that, he has been so friendly to gun-owner rights over the years that the NRA's Wayne LaPierre once called him "a true champion of the Second Amendment back in Washington, D.C."
Reid knows that at least seven Senate Democrats could lose their seats this year by voting for strict gun control measures, according to several Washington political reporters. Liberals will blame this on the NRA. Really, it's because so many voters are wary of government efforts to control guns, which is something New Hampshire's delegation needs to keep in mind.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Missing the point: The IRS scandal and state power - 0
- Helping panhandlers: A method worth trying in Manchester - 7
- For the people: A century of the NH primary - 0
- What innovation? The casino way is the lazy way - 10
- Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name - 4
- Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse - 15
- Underestimating NH: Gun control picks two wrong targets - 34
- Roaming jihadis: A terrorist visits Manchester - 5
- Athletes and PE: Give them credit for sports - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police seek Food Mart robber - 0
- White Sox lefty Quintana shuts down Red Sox - 0
- Manchester mayor to oversee economic development office - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 21 - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford rolls in NHIAA tennis tournament opener - 0
- Franklin Pierce to play Shippensburg in Div. II baseball World Series - 0
- Amendola getting up to speed with Patriots - 0
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Londonderry’s double threat - 0
- No curbside collections in Manchester on Monday - 0
Jonah Goldberg: Obama's 'idiot' defense
Manchester police seek Food Mart robber
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death