Home » Opinion » Editorials
Tepid on gun control: Reid's cautious reaction
"I thank the President's task force for its thoughtful recommendations," Reid said. "I am committed to ensuring that the Senate will consider legislation that addresses gun violence and other aspects of violence in our society early this year."
Reid did add that "we are not doing enough" to combat gun violence and that "all options should be on the table." But in sum his remarks were decidedly lukewarm. They were the sort of comments politicians give when they want to appear open to a proposal they really wish would go away.
Reid, of course, is from Nevada, where guns are ingrained in the culture. Because of that, he has been so friendly to gun-owner rights over the years that the NRA's Wayne LaPierre once called him "a true champion of the Second Amendment back in Washington, D.C."
Reid knows that at least seven Senate Democrats could lose their seats this year by voting for strict gun control measures, according to several Washington political reporters. Liberals will blame this on the NRA. Really, it's because so many voters are wary of government efforts to control guns, which is something New Hampshire's delegation needs to keep in mind.
READER COMMENTS: 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 43
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 37
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 10
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 71
- Race and policing: America has a problem - 0
- Strength in faith: Gaining it from Jim Foley's family - 0
- Playing chicken: Treating voters like idiots - 0
- Perry’s indictment: An abuse of the legal system - 24
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
- Manchester men charged with drive-by shooting in Nashua - 0
- Multiple reports say deal reached for Arthur T. to buy Market Basket - 0
- Fisher Cats get behind early, fall to Senators - 0
- Sox downed on pinch-hit homer - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help