Home » Opinion » Editorials
Tepid on gun control: Reid's cautious reaction
"I thank the President's task force for its thoughtful recommendations," Reid said. "I am committed to ensuring that the Senate will consider legislation that addresses gun violence and other aspects of violence in our society early this year."
Reid did add that "we are not doing enough" to combat gun violence and that "all options should be on the table." But in sum his remarks were decidedly lukewarm. They were the sort of comments politicians give when they want to appear open to a proposal they really wish would go away.
Reid, of course, is from Nevada, where guns are ingrained in the culture. Because of that, he has been so friendly to gun-owner rights over the years that the NRA's Wayne LaPierre once called him "a true champion of the Second Amendment back in Washington, D.C."
Reid knows that at least seven Senate Democrats could lose their seats this year by voting for strict gun control measures, according to several Washington political reporters. Liberals will blame this on the NRA. Really, it's because so many voters are wary of government efforts to control guns, which is something New Hampshire's delegation needs to keep in mind.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Windham boys prevail in hoop opener - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball Preview: Top dogs still have lots of bite - 1
- NHIAA Roundup: Bow's balance too much for Kearsarge - 0
- Rich won’t return to coach Londonderry football - 1
- Propane truck overturns on Bow side street - 0
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 4
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- UPDATE: Stretch of I-293 South, North lanes reopen after propane tanker crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0