Home » Sports » Baseball » Red Sox/MLB
Ellsbury agrees to one-year, $9m deal
Ellsbury, 29, will be eligible for free agency following the 2013 season.
Ellsbury finished second in the American League Most Valuable Player Award voting in 2011, when he hit .321 with 32 homers, but he played only 74 games in 2012 after dislocating his right shoulder. He hit .271 with four home runs last season.
Sox sign Hanrahan for one year, $7m
The Boston Red Sox avoided arbitration with new closer Joel Hanrahan after reaching agreement on a one-year deal worth $7.04 million.
Hanrahan, who will be eligible for free agency after the 2013 season, came to the Red Sox last month in a trade with Pittsburgh. The Pirates paid him $4.1 million in 2012.
Hanrahan posted 36 saves last season and 40 in 2011 with a combined a 2.24 ERA for the Pirates.
Red Sox manager John Farrell already has designated Hanrahan as the team's closer going into spring training.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs fall, settle for two-win weekend - 0
- Ian Clark's Monarchs Notebook: Berube makes most of his shot - 0
- Red-hot Monarchs top Wolf Pack on the road - 0
- Deslauriers comes through in the Nick of time for Monarchs - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Rookie makes most of chance - 0
- Monarchs cut Ullrich - 0
- Monarchs fall in Sunday shootout - 0
- Sabourin's two goals pace Monarchs past P-Bruins - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' 'kids' get job done - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Man wanted in Vermont arrested after high-speed chase in Rochester - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Two sent to the hospital after Barrington crash - 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice