Monarchs edge past Worcester
Toffoli, named to the American Hockey League All-Star Game earlier in the week, beat Sharks goalie Harri Sateri at 18:48 of the third period.
Worcester forward Jon Matsumoto scored the only goal of the first period, notching his 12th goal of the season. The Sharks held a 1-0 lead until the eighth minute of the second period. Monarchs centerman Linden Vey, with assists from Brandon Kozun and Tanner Pearson, beat Sateri. Vey had a goal and an assist for the Monarchs (18-17-2-2), who host Providence tonight at 7 at Verizon Wireless Arena. The Monarchs also host Portland on Sunday at 3 p.m.
Goalie Martin Jones returned for the Monarchs, saving 28 of 29 shots. Sateri saved 16 of 19 shots for the Sharks, who dropped to 19-16-1-3. In a physical battle, the division foes began swapping punches in the opening seconds of the game. Andy Andreoff, who earned a three-game suspension earlier this month for a hit to the head of Worcester's Curt Gogol, dropped the gloves with Jimmy Bonneau. Justin Johnson also had a fight with Bonneau. Neither team scored on the power play in the contest.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford wrestlers top Goffstown - 0
- Central builds early lead, beats Pinkerton - 0
- Pinkerton, Memorial deadlock - 0
- Concord's Law is Athlete of the Month - 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'