Home » News » Public Safety
Five hurt in gun show accidents in three U.S. states; two women reportedly shot at soccer field in Las Vegas
The accidental shootings come amid a national debate over gun control that erupted after a man armed with an assault rifle killed 20 first graders and six adults last month at an elementary school in Connecticut. It was the deadliest of a string of U.S. shooting sprees last year.
None of the five people hurt in Saturday's accidents - in North Carolina, Ohio and Indiana - suffered life-threatening injuries.
In a separate incident Saturday, gunfire erupted at a crowded soccer field during a match in Las Vegas on Saturday, wounding two women attending the game, local media reported.
The shooting took place at a public park during a men's soccer league game attended by 150 to 200 people, Nevada ABC affiliate 13 Action News reported, adding that police said shots were fired toward the field from over a wall.
The women were being treated for non-life-threatening injuries, it added. A Las Vegas police spokesman did not immediately respond to calls requesting comment.
The shootings coincided with a day of rallies across the country by gun rights advocates who say the right to own firearms is under attack from President Barack Obama's proposals to reduce gun violence.
The North Carolina accident occurred after Gary Lynn Wilson, 36, approached the entrance of the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh to have his personal firearm inspected, according to a statement by the North Carolina Department of Agriculture, a host of the show.
The shotgun went off as he was opening its case, the statement said. Two gun show patrons were injured - a 50-year-old man and a 54-year-old woman - as was a 54-year-old retired sheriff's deputy who was working at the show, the statement said.
"They all were struck by birdshot from the gun," Agriculture Department spokesman Brian Long said.
In Medina, an Ohio town southwest of Cleveland, one person was wounded in an accidental shooting at the Conrad & Dowdell gun show, according to Medina Police Chief Patrick Berarducci.
A dealer was holding a Taurus 9mm semi-automatic pistol he had just bought and trying to remove the bullets when the gun discharged, Berarducci said. A bullet struck the dealer's 62-year-old business partner in the arm and leg and he was hospitalized, police said.
"There's no indication of foul play. It's just a tragic accident," Berarducci said.
In Indianapolis, a man was slightly wounded outside the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Show when he was loading his .45 caliber semi-automatic firearm and shot himself in the hand, the Indiana State Police said in a statement. He was taken to a hospital for treatment, police said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Keene ordinance against synthetic drugs seems to be working - 0
- Plea deal for woman who allegedly supplied drug hours before Hampton double fatal - 0
- Merrimack rollover sends Mass. driver to hospital - 0
- Suit claims Hudson violates rights of panhandlers - 1
- Driver hits Rochester monument, rolls car and is trapped - 0
- Nashua firefighters put out two fires; 14 people forced out in Palm Street blaze - 0
- Two injured in late night car crash in Londonderry - 0
- Hampton Falls woman charged with striking Rye police officer with her car - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 7
- Family of slain journalist James Foley calls for more action to save others - 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: A short history of the spice trade - 0
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
ISIS beheads NH journalist