Home » News » Public Safety
Wolfeboro rescuers practice with a splash
On Saturday, members of the Wolfeboro Fire-Rescue Departments practiced their ice and cold-water rescue skills off the Wolfeboro Town Docks. Deputy Fire-Rescue Chief Tom Zotti said the outdoor training exercise give the crew a chance to refresh or hone their skills and put to use what is learned in the classroom.
Special equipment for winter rescue conditions include a portable, inflatable boat that is open at each end to enable the rescuer to pull a person into the boat easily from the water; bright orange exposure suits that float as well as keep rescuers warm; and a snowmobile equipped to transport a patient across icy or snowy terrain.
Crew members practiced rescues from the raft, flopped and floated in the cold water with their suits and crawled from open water to the ice, using ice picks that are attached to the sleeves of the exposure suits.
"I'm waiting for the piece to crack," said Zotti as he watched crew members slide up onto the ice, breaking massive pieces.
The suits keep people dry and warm, except for the face, which is exposed.
"It's really warm," said Firefighter Chris Morgan who took a dip dressed in the suit.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 6
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 65 mph OK for E-ZPass drivers with opening of new lanes at Hooksett toll plaza - 0
- Updated: NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 0
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 9
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 29
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire