Home » News » Public Safety
Wolfeboro rescuers practice with a splash
On Saturday, members of the Wolfeboro Fire-Rescue Departments practiced their ice and cold-water rescue skills off the Wolfeboro Town Docks. Deputy Fire-Rescue Chief Tom Zotti said the outdoor training exercise give the crew a chance to refresh or hone their skills and put to use what is learned in the classroom.
Special equipment for winter rescue conditions include a portable, inflatable boat that is open at each end to enable the rescuer to pull a person into the boat easily from the water; bright orange exposure suits that float as well as keep rescuers warm; and a snowmobile equipped to transport a patient across icy or snowy terrain.
Crew members practiced rescues from the raft, flopped and floated in the cold water with their suits and crawled from open water to the ice, using ice picks that are attached to the sleeves of the exposure suits.
"I'm waiting for the piece to crack," said Zotti as he watched crew members slide up onto the ice, breaking massive pieces.
The suits keep people dry and warm, except for the face, which is exposed.
"It's really warm," said Firefighter Chris Morgan who took a dip dressed in the suit.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
- Driving lesson turns into car accident in Laconia - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Berlin building - 0
- NY man stable after destroying classic Porsche 911 in Route 16 wreck - 3
- Investigators seek cause of Conn. train crash - 0
- Berlin man dies while kayaking - 0
- Man seriously hurt in North Country crash of 1967 Porsche - 0
- Teen hurt in Amherst boating crash - 0
- Ceremony for fallen police officers honors service and sacrifice - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sen. Rand Paul in NH: Too early for judgments in IRS probe - 0
- Rabid raccoons in Hanover raise ‘rabies season’ concerns - 0
- Wanted fugitive arrested by U.S. Marshals in Manchester - 0
- Gregg named CEO of Wall Street lobbying group - 1
- Portsmouth woman faces up to life in prison in fatal overdose - 0
- Mass. sex offender indicted for sex assault on child at Plaistow Walmart - 0
- Home care worker indicted for kidnapping, sexual assault of male client - 0
- Police say house guest helped himself to credit card - 0
- Police say women were smoking crack with 2-year-old in car - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack