Home » News » Public Safety
Wolfeboro rescuers practice with a splash
On Saturday, members of the Wolfeboro Fire-Rescue Departments practiced their ice and cold-water rescue skills off the Wolfeboro Town Docks. Deputy Fire-Rescue Chief Tom Zotti said the outdoor training exercise give the crew a chance to refresh or hone their skills and put to use what is learned in the classroom.
Special equipment for winter rescue conditions include a portable, inflatable boat that is open at each end to enable the rescuer to pull a person into the boat easily from the water; bright orange exposure suits that float as well as keep rescuers warm; and a snowmobile equipped to transport a patient across icy or snowy terrain.
Crew members practiced rescues from the raft, flopped and floated in the cold water with their suits and crawled from open water to the ice, using ice picks that are attached to the sleeves of the exposure suits.
"I'm waiting for the piece to crack," said Zotti as he watched crew members slide up onto the ice, breaking massive pieces.
The suits keep people dry and warm, except for the face, which is exposed.
"It's really warm," said Firefighter Chris Morgan who took a dip dressed in the suit.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fish and Game says Gilford bear shooting was proper - 2
- White powder in Salem shipping container posed no serious risks - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Plaistow fire victim remains critical - 0
- Updated: Car may have started itself, crashes, burns at Manchester Home Depot - 7
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 2
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: Gosselin stepping down as city AD - 0
- Lackey sharp as Red Sox pound Cleveland, Masterson - 0
- Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place' - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Bedford netmen earn spot in state final - 0
- NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013 - 0
- NHIAA Div. I Track: Lynch, North boys prevail - 0
- Two found dead in Belmont; one man detained as part of investigation - 0
- Weather this weekend may be more like Veterans Day - 0
NHIAA Scoreboard, May 24, 2013
Manchester Vet Center just 'a great place'
Just say it: Our fight is with radical Islam
The casino vote: The House did its duty
Talk of UNH logo change brings out passions