Tenants escape Raymond fire
January 19. 2013 8:40PM
RAYMOND - Three tenants escaped a fire that heavily damaged a home at 19 Lakeview Drive early Saturday morning after smoke detectors alerted them to the flames, according to officials.
Fire Chief Kevin Pratt said the fire apparently started around 2 a.m. after smoking materials discarded in a plastic container on a porch ignited an overhang. The fire spread to the second floor and caused heavy damage before firefighters got it under control.
Pratt said the home was recently renovated and the smoke detectors were new. He said it's an important reminder that smoke detectors wear out and should be replaced at least every 10 years.
Pratt said the home, a converted camp, is not habitable. He said the owners have insurance and expect to rebuild.