Home » Opinion » Editorials
Dumping on Amherst: Selectmen diss townspeople
Having been placed on leave from his job since early December, (with pay, the selectmen finally admitted last week), O'Mara suddenly popped back up at his office last Thursday just as mysteriously as he had vanished.
Requests for information from townsfolk and the Union Leader alike were stonewalled for weeks. The ever-handy "personnel issue" was all that was said.
Now, it appears, O'Mara was suspended with pay while the selectmen looked into the purchase of a dump truck. O'Mara, they say, was cleared of any wrongdoing, as were other unnamed parties. Nothing more can be said, they said.
This is so much of what that dump truck could be filled with as to be laughable.
The selectmen have treated the townspeople as pesky children who are not worthy of the basic information to which they are entitled and to which they should demand. The voters of Amherst would be well-advised to do some serious office-cleaning, starting with their next Town Meeting.
READER COMMENTS: 8
- Bad Joe: Levasseur stalls again - 2
- Good Joe: Kenney for Executive Council - 1
- Insurance exchange: NH Dems, GOP switch sides - 2
- Bottle store blues: The useless grocery mandate - 2
- Finding city revenue: Seek more private partners - 0
- Putin's freedom: Obama's weakness - 42
- Safe seats, frequent flyers - 0
- Sports volunteers: Eric Mommsen embodies the spirit - 0
- Issa drops in: Doesn't match media slant - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 5
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief