Home » Opinion » Editorials
Dumping on Amherst: Selectmen diss townspeople
Having been placed on leave from his job since early December, (with pay, the selectmen finally admitted last week), O'Mara suddenly popped back up at his office last Thursday just as mysteriously as he had vanished.
Requests for information from townsfolk and the Union Leader alike were stonewalled for weeks. The ever-handy "personnel issue" was all that was said.
Now, it appears, O'Mara was suspended with pay while the selectmen looked into the purchase of a dump truck. O'Mara, they say, was cleared of any wrongdoing, as were other unnamed parties. Nothing more can be said, they said.
This is so much of what that dump truck could be filled with as to be laughable.
The selectmen have treated the townspeople as pesky children who are not worthy of the basic information to which they are entitled and to which they should demand. The voters of Amherst would be well-advised to do some serious office-cleaning, starting with their next Town Meeting.
READER COMMENTS: 11
- Veterans Count, for less: Feds shred a program that works - 3
- Salem's town clown: Nothing is the public's business - 3
- Havenstein's Pledge: It's a sound business plan - 2
- 'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH - 28
- Personhood Controversial? Really? - 29
- Pocket Constitutions: Windham's non-scandal - 16
- Obama's escalation: In Iraq, too broad a fight - 14
- NH's prison population: The real story behind a failed law - 12
- Constitutional thought: Enter our student essay contest - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Regulators OK 47 percent rate hike for Liberty Utilities customers - 3
- Nashua man facing numerous assault charges in attack on woman - 0
- Manchester man arrested in Holiday Inn Express robbery - 0
- After flap over 'racist' comment, no call for Lincoln planner to resign from board - 8
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 4
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 2
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance