Home » Opinion » Editorials
Dumping on Amherst: Selectmen diss townspeople
Having been placed on leave from his job since early December, (with pay, the selectmen finally admitted last week), O'Mara suddenly popped back up at his office last Thursday just as mysteriously as he had vanished.
Requests for information from townsfolk and the Union Leader alike were stonewalled for weeks. The ever-handy "personnel issue" was all that was said.
Now, it appears, O'Mara was suspended with pay while the selectmen looked into the purchase of a dump truck. O'Mara, they say, was cleared of any wrongdoing, as were other unnamed parties. Nothing more can be said, they said.
This is so much of what that dump truck could be filled with as to be laughable.
The selectmen have treated the townspeople as pesky children who are not worthy of the basic information to which they are entitled and to which they should demand. The voters of Amherst would be well-advised to do some serious office-cleaning, starting with their next Town Meeting.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- City papers: A flawed right-to-know policy - 3
- Revenue raiser: An economic recovery, not a casino, is what's needed - 6
- Secret arrests? Not if we can help it - 6
- Process and law: Foster's questionable circumvention - 3
- The courage of Boston: The courage of America - 1
- Downhill: Obamacare vs. ski areas - 24
- 'He is risen': 'As he said' - 1
- A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data - 11
- City budget talk: How about solutions instead? - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Vote to cut Derry police overtime budget defeated - 0
- Haverhill American Legion post accused of allowing gambling - 0
- Ramesh Ponnuru: GOP hawks, doves are not helping their party right now - 0
- John Stossel: Privacy, please - 0
- Manchester officer cleared of assault, resigns - 0
- Ex-Derry public works employee intends to admit to $12k theft - 0
- Group's efforts continue toward school auditorium - 0
- Bail set for TD Bank robbery suspect in Derry - 0
- High winds cause power outages, fan fires - 0
Michigan’s ban: Sotomayor’s ‘disadvantages’
No charges in Nashua 'Duck-gate'
Rep. Kuster talks women's economic issues
George Will: Our adolescent President