Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Bruins win lockout-delayed season opener
Milan Lucic, Daniel Paille and Johnny Boychuk scored for the Bruins, who lost three of four matchups against the Rangers last season.
Brad Richards had the lone goal for New York and Lundqvist made 31 saves in losing to Boston in regulation for only the seventh time in the last 28 games.
Lucic put Boston on top with the only goal of the opening period, pouncing on a rebound of Lundqvist's pad save of David Krejci's blast and whistling it into the net. Paille doubled the lead with 11:40 left in the second with a redirection that hit the post before caroming off Lundqvist's back and into the net.
Richards got that goal back 3 1/2 minutes later with a well-placed drive from the right point past a screened Rask, but Boychuk celebrated his 29th birthday with a wrist shot from along that boards that clipped Richards and dipped past Lundqvist with 11:47 left in the game.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rick Nash, making his Rangers debut after a blockbuster offseason trade, had two shots and drew a penalty to give New York a 5-on-3 in the third that it failed to convert. ... Lucic drew a game misconduct with 5:34 left in the game for the Bruins, who were 23-2-0 when leading after one period last season. ... Lundqvist made a spectacular diving glove save on Krejci with 12:53 left in the third. Although part of Lundqvist's glove crossed the goal line, the call stood upon video review.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Iginla strikes twice as red-hot Bruins top Oilers - 0
- Another win for Jones, Kings - 0
- Bruins preparing for tough stretch - 0
- Lucic leads Bruins past Blue Jackets - 0
- Chara's 'Gordie' lifts Bruins over Rangers - 0
- Bruin’s effort a turkey in 6-1 loss to Detroit - 0
- Krug lifts Bruins over Penguins in OT - 0
- B's top Hurricanes in overtime - 0
- Blues tip Bruins in shootout - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan