Home » Sports » Hockey » Bruins/NHL
Bruins win lockout-delayed season opener
Milan Lucic, Daniel Paille and Johnny Boychuk scored for the Bruins, who lost three of four matchups against the Rangers last season.
Brad Richards had the lone goal for New York and Lundqvist made 31 saves in losing to Boston in regulation for only the seventh time in the last 28 games.
Lucic put Boston on top with the only goal of the opening period, pouncing on a rebound of Lundqvist's pad save of David Krejci's blast and whistling it into the net. Paille doubled the lead with 11:40 left in the second with a redirection that hit the post before caroming off Lundqvist's back and into the net.
Richards got that goal back 3 1/2 minutes later with a well-placed drive from the right point past a screened Rask, but Boychuk celebrated his 29th birthday with a wrist shot from along that boards that clipped Richards and dipped past Lundqvist with 11:47 left in the game.
GAME NOTEBOOK: Rick Nash, making his Rangers debut after a blockbuster offseason trade, had two shots and drew a penalty to give New York a 5-on-3 in the third that it failed to convert. ... Lucic drew a game misconduct with 5:34 left in the game for the Bruins, who were 23-2-0 when leading after one period last season. ... Lundqvist made a spectacular diving glove save on Krejci with 12:53 left in the third. Although part of Lundqvist's glove crossed the goal line, the call stood upon video review.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pat Buchanan: China has begun prowling Asia like a hungry tiger - 2
- Thomas Sowell: Victimhood and race - 4
- Fred Hiatt: While Obama talked, Assad killed - 4
- Ramesh Ponnuru: Why the latest corporate tax cut plan won't work - 1
- Aidan Connell: Manchester Central educated this Hooksett student very well - 13
- Deroy Murdock; Fracking is 'greener' than environmentalists want to admit - 9
- Margaret Carlson: Is Obamacare challenging enough yet for President Obama? - 4
- George Will: Scott Walker, action figure governor - 1
- Charles Krauthammer: An outbreak of lawlessness - 1
READER COMMENTS: 6
- UPDATE: Portsmouth woman, 60, identified after her body is found in creek - 0
- N.Y. man charged with reckless conduct after accidental shooting in Nashua - 0
- Cases against Keene 'Robin Hooders' dismissed by judge - 4
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 1
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 1
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Bob Smith ready to hire campaign manager for his 2014 US Senate run
Push to block casino in NH ramping up