Impasse declared in Mascenic School District teachers' negotiations
According to joint statement from the school board and the Mascenic Education Association, several joint negotiating sessions and mediation couldn't bridge the gap between what the union and the school board demanded from the contract.
The main sticking point, according to the statement, was a disagreement over a process that would have allowed tenured teachers who were not rehired to appeal the decision. The board wanted to limit that right to appeal, but the union would not agree to changes.
The board and the union were not far off on reaching an agreement for increased salaries, but because of the impasse over the appeals process, the negotiations stalled. As a result, the statement said it's unlikely there will be a collective bargaining agreement in place for the 2013-14 school year.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Kayla Bullwinkel: Schools must go after cyber bullies while respecting the First Amendment - 3
- George Will: Obama uses a bludgeon in Wisconsin - 2
- Jonah Goldberg: Feminists freak out over a guy's clothes - 1
- Another View -- Ted Cruz: Don't turn the Internet into a public utility - 8
- Charles Arlinghaus: Divided government keeps bad things from happening - 2
- Thomas Sowell: How race obsession can hurt minority students - 2
- Another View -- Tom Szold: After a 2014 GOP loss, some reflections and second guesses - 14
- Pat Buchanan: The oil weapon in America's hands - 0
- David Harsanyi: A terrible climate deal that doesn't matter - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Physician reprimanded after baby’s brain damaged in delivery - 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 1
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 1
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Offend someone? To jail with you!
Obama to illegals: Come out of shadows
Plaistow town planner arrested
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
College Hockey: Providence blanks UNH
Pipeline's NH route moves to top choice