Gourmet bakery approved for a sweet spot in Salem
Vikki Sciuto, owner of Sweet Ideas By Vikki, began the company out of her home about a year and half ago. Specializing in gourmet cupcakes, decorated birthday and wedding cakes, and brownies by order over the phone and via email, the business has quickly outgrown her home kitchen, Sciuto said.
With her brother-in-law offering a vacant space in an industrial park located at 45 Northwestern Drive, Sciuto approached the town in hopes of gaining permission to add a commercial kitchen to the 600-square foot property.
Salem Planning Director Ross Moldoff said the site is located in an industrial zone and uses town water and town sewer. Moldoff said the applicant went before the zoning board several months ago, where she obtained a variance for retail usage. He said town staff recommended that the planning board approve Sciuto's request.
"Because this type of product is typically sold in a retail store, rather than onsite, we felt this was appropriate," Moldoff said, noting that Sciuto's plans are to continue fulfilling orders via phone and email rather than having a traditional storefront.
With no one from the public offering comment, the board unanimously granted a conditional use permit.
Salem » Local Events
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Mind your (flea-market) manners - 0
- A great day for a road race - 0
- Fishermen say lie-detector test keeps Winni Derby honest - 2
- Some Winni Derby fishermen report seeing smaller catches - 1
- Tour de Breakfast fuels about 466 who bicycled, walked to work - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks - A scary spring sight: Dogs hanging out of open car windows - 0
- Hancock trio creates book to help rescue pet birds - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Mixing business and pleasure while in Maine - 0
- A Family Promise holding talent search for fall fundraiser - 0
Mind your (flea-market) manners
Hooksett Police Commission walks away
A great day for a road race
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
43 killers on lifetime parole - but where?