Home » News » Roads and Travel
Sarah Mildred Long Bridge in Portsmouth stuck, closed
The bridge span was lifted in the afternoon as a cold-weather exercise and became out of line when being lowered back down, Bill Boynton, spokesman with the state Department of Transportation said.
Boynton said this sometimes happens, but the problem is compounded by damage to the tracks in which the span runs.
NHDOT Commissioner Chris Clement and other officials visited the bridge on Wednesday to assess the problem and see when and how it can be fixed.
Boynton said he was told it could be a while.?
"We're not sure how long it is going to take to fix it at this point,"? Boynton said.
The Sarah Mildred Long Bridge was built in the 1940s and is New Hampshire's number-one red-list bridge. It is one of two bridges currently connecting Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine, while the Memorial Bridge is under construction.
The middle bridge of the three has been plagued with problems and has a weight limit.
Traffic was rerouted to the I-95 high-level bridge on Wednesday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ian Clark's Monarchs Notebook: Berube makes most of his shot - 0
- Red-hot Monarchs top Wolf Pack on the road - 0
- Deslauriers comes through in the Nick of time for Monarchs - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Rookie makes most of chance - 0
- Monarchs cut Ullrich - 0
- Monarchs fall in Sunday shootout - 0
- Sabourin's two goals pace Monarchs past P-Bruins - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' 'kids' get job done - 0
- Monarchs roll past Sharks, 4-1 - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 3
- Sports Briefs: No miracle finish for Vonn - 0
- Browns QB Campbell cleared to face Pats - 0
- Bruins defenseman Boychuk's status unknown - 1
- SNHU seeks NCAA title - 0
- Wildcat gridders visit Maine in defining game for program - 2
- Manchester needs more police department argues in staffing report - 9
Reams threatens to sue county commissioners
'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett
Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges
Conway is heartened by word of her letter
Nashua hero up for Carnegie award
McWages: They're about value
Pot debate precedes legislative hearings
Dingman: 'I try to be a better person'
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown says 'nothing is really changed' on political plans
Scott Brown still weighing options