Sarah Mildred Long Bridge in Portsmouth stuck, closed
The bridge span was lifted in the afternoon as a cold-weather exercise and became out of line when being lowered back down, Bill Boynton, spokesman with the state Department of Transportation said.
Boynton said this sometimes happens, but the problem is compounded by damage to the tracks in which the span runs.
NHDOT Commissioner Chris Clement and other officials visited the bridge on Wednesday to assess the problem and see when and how it can be fixed.
Boynton said he was told it could be a while.?
"We're not sure how long it is going to take to fix it at this point,"? Boynton said.
The Sarah Mildred Long Bridge was built in the 1940s and is New Hampshire's number-one red-list bridge. It is one of two bridges currently connecting Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine, while the Memorial Bridge is under construction.
The middle bridge of the three has been plagued with problems and has a weight limit.
Traffic was rerouted to the I-95 high-level bridge on Wednesday.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Veterans Count, for less: Feds shred a program that works - 3
- Salem's town clown: Nothing is the public's business - 1
- Havenstein's Pledge: It's a sound business plan - 1
- 'Strange ideas' Banning guns made in NH - 26
- Personhood Controversial? Really? - 29
- Pocket Constitutions: Windham's non-scandal - 15
- Obama's escalation: In Iraq, too broad a fight - 14
- NH's prison population: The real story behind a failed law - 12
- Constitutional thought: Enter our student essay contest - 0
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 1
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 0
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
- Manchester teachers to vote again next week on contract - 2
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser