Sarah Mildred Long Bridge in Portsmouth stuck, closed
The bridge span was lifted in the afternoon as a cold-weather exercise and became out of line when being lowered back down, Bill Boynton, spokesman with the state Department of Transportation said.
Boynton said this sometimes happens, but the problem is compounded by damage to the tracks in which the span runs.
NHDOT Commissioner Chris Clement and other officials visited the bridge on Wednesday to assess the problem and see when and how it can be fixed.
Boynton said he was told it could be a while.?
"We're not sure how long it is going to take to fix it at this point,"? Boynton said.
The Sarah Mildred Long Bridge was built in the 1940s and is New Hampshire's number-one red-list bridge. It is one of two bridges currently connecting Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine, while the Memorial Bridge is under construction.
The middle bridge of the three has been plagued with problems and has a weight limit.
Traffic was rerouted to the I-95 high-level bridge on Wednesday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Removal of 1907 Boscawen bridge less costly than planners expected - 1
- A trio of roundabouts looms a solution to Meredith’s seasonal traffic problem - 0
- Big potential, big subsidies projected in new rail study - 12
- Race to tie up Hampton Beach traffic Sunday - 0
- Road resurfacing project begins on Derry's West Broadway - 0
- Stark Covered Bridge repairs underway, to be completed in Spring 2015 - 0
- Londonderry allows DOT to assume management of Exit 4A project - 0
- DOT orders bridge closure in West Swanzey - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police obtain warrants for suspect wanted in Dover, Manchester bank robberies - 0
- Abby Dion, 9, records a 10 in gymnastics meet - 0
- St. A skaters fall to Norwich - 0
- Monarchs lose in OT; win streak stops at 6 - 0
- Police searching for person stealing from cars in Manchester - 1
- College Football: Maine seniors want the coveted musket - 0
- College Hockey: Ice-making problem postpones UNH-PC - 1
- Pinkerton backfield a combination of power and speed - 0
- John Habib's City Sports: State Legion rejects Post 79’s request for senior team - 2
Jury acquits Mont Vernon driver, who was checking text, in death of former Amherst fire chief
Offend someone? To jail with you!
Obama to illegals: Come out of shadows
Plaistow town planner arrested
Driver acquitted in Amherst ex-chief’s death
A kinder, gentler House Speaker?
Pipeline's NH route moves to top choice
College Hockey: Providence blanks UNH